Thursday, October 31, 2013

Fiction: Juice

After reading Juice I find it somewhat confusing. To me its one of those books that are open to interpretation. Every person seems to see different meanings throughout the book. There seems to be no 'truth' in the book. I understand that is the entire point of fiction writing, but this one doesn't seem to make sense to me. 
Throughout the book there are some implications that the main character is a male, and at other times it sounds like a female. Once again, it's up to the reader. Or maybe even Renee Gladman didn't want the reader to know the gender of the character. Maybe we aren't supposed to focus on that. Possibly we should be more focusing on the text in the book. Apparently a crisis happened in the town where this person lives. All he/she seems to care about is drinking her fresh juice. There is definitely a sense of loneliness in this book. Seems like no one else is in town but the character doesn't care at all, as long as he/she has juice. The setting is in the town and the grocery store. This book sounds like the movie "I Am Legend" in terms of how the entire city is abandoned. This book is not logical at all. I do like fiction readings but I'd like to be able to understand what's going on. 
There is a passage on page 34 that states " Between the moment fifteen years ago when I turned the corner away from Hershey Street and a year later when I "woke up" outside a Midwestern hotel, there is water where memory should be. There is evidence in my bags,
my pockets, that made me think I had been on trains. There was a way I kept looking over my shoulder—back east—that reminded me of trains. So that's where I assumed I had been, and that is where I went". The theme of that sentence seems to be reacquiring throughout the book. After reading that passage I get a sense of the character being lost, rather that be a loss of culture, memory, or even sense of self. There is loss and there is loneliness.

Its seems as when reading this book because the author doesn't use the word "I" in some parts of the book (3rd person writing), the book projects its own ego onto the world and then sees only its own reflection. (the reader) I did find this book fascinating in terms of the writing style but it is still confusing. Hopefully 'Maps to Anywhere' is a little different. After filling my glass with Juice, yes it was good but I've had enough.          
 

1 comment:

  1. Good responses to the fiction stories the past couple of weeks, keep thinking about it, nice work.

    ReplyDelete